Sat. Jul 13th, 2024

Tyre Nichols, a FedEx Employee, Death by 5 Officers Under Investigation

Death of FedEx employee under investigation

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — An investigation is underway after a FedEx employee died while on the job.

Airport officials tell WREG that on Wednesday afternoon, a two-vehicle accident sent two people to the hospital. A 48-year-old man died as a result of the crash.

Officials with FedEx confirm he was an employee, saying, “We are deeply saddened. Our heartfelt thoughts are with our team member’s family, colleagues and all of those affected by this event.”

While FedEx declined to provide any specifics surrounding the accident, WREG has learned the state’s occupational safety and health administration is conducting an investigation.

An OSHA spokesperson tells WREG that investigators arrived at the facility Thursday and plan to get to the bottom of what happened. They will be conducting interviews with management and employees and reviewing the company’s records.

This is the second person to be killed at the World Hub this year and third overall death at a FedEx facility in the Mid-South.

At this time, officials have not released the name of the person killed. OSHA says their investigation could take eight to ten weeks to complete.

OSHA will not release any information regarding the incident until the investigation is final. The report, which will detail the agency’s findings, will be open for review by the citizens of Tennessee when it is done.

by:  source


Tyre Nichols Remembered as a ‘Beautiful Soul;’ City Offers Public Release of Video Footage

Family and friends remembered Tyre Nichols at a memorial service January 17, 2023.

While family and friends paid tribute Tuesday to a man who died following a recent confrontation with Memphis police, city officials also announced Tuesday that video footage from the incident will be forthcoming.

Through tears and laughter at an Orange Mound-area funeral home on Tuesday, loved ones honored Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old father of one, who died Jan. 10, three days after he was arrested and hospitalized after a traffic stop.

During a memorial service, they recalled his easy-going, goofy and independent nature and his love of food.

“The way to this man’s heart was through his stomach,” Angelina Paxton, a longtime friend from California, told the more than 50 people who gathered to celebrate Nichols’ life.

She says they met as teenagers through church, and he introduced her to his passion of skateboarding.

“He really was a light,” she said. “There was not a bad bone in that man’s body. He was not violent. He was not crooked…he was a good man.”

Even casual acquaintances cherished their encounters with Nichols. Nate Spates Jr. got to know him through visits to Starbucks in East Memphis.

“We all just ended up probably three, four times a week, just sitting there talking,” Spates said. “He just wanted to enjoy life, enjoy being out in the elements – enjoying conversation.”

Spates says even his wife was moved to comment on Nichols’ kind demeanor after a coffee run, calling him a “beautiful soul.”

According to Memphis Police, Nichols was pulled over for reckless driving on the evening of Jan 7. He fled on foot after a confrontation with officers. MPD said a second confrontation took place as he was apprehended. Nichols was hospitalized after complaining of a shortness of breath, the department said. He died three days later.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is currently reviewing the officers’ use of force.

City officials announced Tuesday that video footage from the night will be made public after MPD completes its own internal investigation, which is expected to finish at the end of the week. Family members must also have the opportunity to privately view it before the footage is shared, Mayor Jim Strickland and Police Chief CJ Davis said in a joint statement.

“We understand and agree that transparency around the events surrounding the death of Mr. Tyre Nichols is critically important, especially the release of the video footage,” the statement reads.

City officials are expected to meet with the family’s attorney next week. The Police Department is also taking administrative action against an unknown number of officers as part of its internal investigation.

Tyre Nichols remembered: He ‘always had a smile on his face’

About 50 people, including family, friends and coworkers, attended the memorial service for Nichols at M.J. Edwards Funeral Home on the edge of Orange Mound.

By Katie Riordan source